Sunday, September 11, 2022

Freestate Comicon 2022

When I think of a favorite show, I have two that always come to mind. One of them is Freestate Comic Book Convention. After the last few shows I had done, I was really looking forward to doing this.

Didn't get as much photography as I thought I would.
If you've not been to Freestate, Craig Klotz (the owner) puts on a great low key show, the kind that's not stressful, and allows for a measured pace that allow people to show, browse, and talk.

It was also the first show I ever made money at. That's always kept it as a special event for me.

The show focuses on comic creators, but also has vendors with comics and toys.
I love that I have a chance to talk to people that want to invest in what I create. That's a luxury I don't get at other shows. The wild part is this show, and NakaKon are the two shows that people come out at see me at. That's never happened at any other show I've ever done.

[Left] This Ring Wraith cosplay is stunning. [Right] I love when I see generations of families out at the show.
As the show wound down, and I started repacking my table set up, I could feel a wave of relief and good feelings wash over me.

The sales had been good, and during the show, I got an email from someone at NakaKon asking if I wanted to take part in the KC Japan Festival. I promptly said yes, and just like that I had one more show on the schedule, which was great, but I was starting to feel the crunch on time.

The drive home was in and out of yet another rainstorm, and I felt like I managed to get my mind back in the game.

Show Overview.

KC Retro Gaming & Collectibles Show was held September 10th, 2022, from 10am to 5pm.

Location: Douglas County Fairgrounds - 2110 Harper St. - Lawrence, Kansas Costs for participating in Freestate

  • 6′ Creator Table = $45
  • 8′ Wall Table = $90
  • 11′ x 11′ Booth, single 8′ table = $120
  • 11′ x 11′ Booth, two 8′ tables = $200
  • Additional 8′ tables for use within any booth = $40

Is it worth it?

Yes. This is from the perspective of a buyer specifically. The next time the show happens, I'll do the artist table option.

The vibe was laid back, but also very energetic in conversation in the main vendor room. If you want a show that had a pretty good selection of vendors, creators, and a wide spectrum of items to purchase, this show is exactly that.

Expense/Earnings
  1. Attendee Entry: $5.00 / Kids 13 years and younger are free / Bring Postcard, Entry is Free
  2. Fuel/food: $35.00
  3. Purchases from vendors and other artists: $0.00
  4. Parking: Free
Total Expenses: $35.00

  1. 2 13"x19" art reproductions: $50
  2. 8 comic books: $20
  3. 2 sets of button/sticker packs: $10
  4. 2 8"x8" art reproductions: $20
  5. 1 custom t-shirt order (after show, from business card pickup): $35

    Total Gross Earnings: $135

Pros

  • The show has a long legacy, Craig Klotz really cares about the creators and vendors at his show.
  • It's got a relaxed overall presentation, but is really well organized, and advertised.
  • A good number of great comic artists, writers, creators, and assorted vendors.
  • Great family friendly event
  • Lots of parking

Cons

  • None

The Final Evaluation

Freestate is a show I'll always recommend. It's a great all around show, and it's been the start for so many people in attending shows, and it also functions as a social circle setting for a lot of people, including myself.

FreeState Show Haul

No additional picked up items this time, but I did trade comic issues with the amazing artist, Baldemar Rivas!

Baldemar was nice enough to sign this issue for me.
There's a couple of links to find out more below!

Thank you so much for reading, I am Mario, the Artisan Rogue, and until next time, remember to support artists and local businesses. Be kind to your fellow beings and always take the path less traveled. We all may live in times uncertain, but kindness, understanding, and believing in the good that is in most each and every one of us is what can bring about better days!.


LINKS







Mario, the Artisan Rogue
Illustrator, Voice Actor, Writer, Animal Rights Activist
-All photos, editorial content, created by me. One dude. Thank you for reading.-
www.theartisanrogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment