Thursday, September 12, 2019

FreeState 2019

Early morning and the sign is up and con goers will be here soon.
FreeState Comicon came and went, and left behind a lot of inspiration, and a bout of the post convention blues. I've covered this show many times before, and have always had a great time doing it.
Always a laid back sort of atmosphere.
If you want to skip to the video review at the end, you certainly can. I'm basically covering a lot of what you are reading now.

I brought a lot of my newer works to FreeState, and the response was great. I would be lying if I said I was not a complete nervous and insecure wreck over attempting to tell this new story of Ardor. I am. Like WAY more than I should be saying I am.
So grateful for everyone that picked up some of my newest illustrations.
BUT, I feel that the feedback and interest I got at this show, and the two I did earlier in the year are going to go a long way in helping me stay the course.

Anyway, onto more about the show. Craig Klotz is the man behind the scenes that puts on this show. It's one based on focus on creators and toy and comic vendors, that heralds back to the core of what these shows should be and can be about.
I am always happy to see when an entire family goes to conventions. [Right - Top and Bottom] I started creating sketchcards for sale next year.
As I've said in years prior, if you are wanting a great intro show to attend, that has a more even flow, with a good bit of time to shop, interact with creators, and maybe even possibly sell or trade off bits of your own collection, you cannot go wrong coming out to Lawrence to attend this show.
[Left Top and Bottom] Judge Death and a sketchcard about a moment in my youth. [Right] Few more copies of Ardor #0 sold at the show as well!
FreeState is the larger yearly show that is part of the FanCon series of shows. FanCons in general will have one or two artists featured, and are just smaller versions of this show.
[Left] A skeksis inspired bit of sketching. [Right] I was really surprised how many really liked the Bakur characters (the white robed villains of Ardor).
As a creator, you could not ask for a better show to start off with. Just to get a no stress launching pad effort started with, or if you have been around the blocks a few times on your trusty BMX shaped metaphor, then it's a nice show to see your fellow creatives at, catch up, and possibly introduce yourself at. Unless you are super introverted. Like me. You know, the guy who does videos, blogs, and wears silly socks. TOTALLY introverted. I swear.
LOVE the heck out of my copy of Fowl Language that Brian Gordon did a version of "Wolverduck" in. :D
FreeState also gives me a chance to slow down and test out my set ups for shows moving forward. I get a chance, like I did when I first started doing these shows, to ask other vendors and artists about certain setups they do, or where they may have gotten some items made, or trade promotional and advertising tips.
Another shot from from table area.
Craig has some more stuff on the horizon for next year to do with FanCon, including a relaunch of the music collector show. I'm as usual, looking forward to what he's got coming down the pipeline.

Shows like this, are a necessity to this at times crazy and wonderful hobby of comics and art. I for one am glad that they keep coming back each year.

Thanks for reading, and if you've watched it, for watching my additional video review of the show!

Until next time, support your local artists and businesses. Be kind to your fellow beings and always take the path less traveled. We all may live in times uncertain, but kindness, understanding, and believing in the good that is in most each and every one of us is what can bring about better days!

Mario, the Artisan Rogue
Illustrator, Voice Actor, Writer, Animal Rights Activist
www.theartisanrogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment