Wednesday, March 16, 2016

NakaKon - Youth Engine of the Midwest

After some years in absence from the show, I finally made it back to NakaKon. I've started to take a more proactive approach to not only the shows, but networking, working on my salesmanship, and upgrading my overall display and presentation.
I made it a point to get there super early this year for setup. (Right) My nifty exhibitor badge and the cool swag bag that NakaKon hands out with it.
Not unlike StealthCon, I am making it a point to get to shows super early, to have more chances to get some photos in, and hopefully be more relaxed and better prepared.

It was cool to get there so early on Friday, because I could see the show slowly coming to life as people started coming into the convention hall.
(Left) The ticket hall and line guides. (Right) Link was here early to get this party started.
I like the buildup of quiet excitement that is very much in the air of bigger shows, and since I'd not been able to do NakaKon in a few years, I was very much glad to feel that emotion again. You can see it on the faces of the people coming in, texting friends and family that are not yet there, wearing smiles that say "I'm here, it's the weekend, and let's do this!".
About an hour before the show opened on Friday. (Lower Right) I got a little bit of drawing in on the community drawing table that they always set up.
I still had some time before the show opened, even for the VIP badge holders, so I double checked my table setup, and then went and sat on a couch in the lounge.
WHY don't more shows do this sort of thing?! This is pure genius, because people will stay at your shows much longer and talk and shop longer!
About ten minutes before VIP access kicked in, I went back out to see how many people were milling about...
There were a LOT more people waiting to get in.
 Right off the bat, which is one of the most enjoyable things for me, there were already a great bunch of cosplays coming by my table area.
(Left) I actually am not sure on this one, but it looked like "Gold Saints" Armor. (Center) A pretty kickass Captain America. (Right) Always a favorite of mine, "Velma".
(Left) "Morrigan" from Dark Stalkers. (Right) A Sith Lord poking a Pokemon. I have waited YEARS to say that.
(Left) Sailor Moon cosplay mashup with Freddy Mercury. (Right) Honestly, I only recognize Starfire from Teen Titans on the far right, the other two I do now know. Anyone want to chime in on this? 
Midway through the overcast afternoon, I managed to come across these three below out on the balcony overlooking the grassy area, and this is what went through my head.
Surprisingly, there were not a lot of Deadpools at the show...
not surprisingly, I always feel like this. Every day.
I was too was suddenly craving a chimichanga. But they did not have that at the concession stand in the vendor hall. That said, was it just me or was the food actually really good and not that dang expensive!? I've done some shows where I need to burn half my artwork for the convention hall's amusement before I can even get a spare packet of mustard to spread over soggy fries.

I remember one show, I think it was in Chicago, might have been a Wizard show, freaking nachos were $12. NACHOS. Twelve dollar nachos!? I should have gotten a complimentary back rub with that price! Who did they think they were? AMC movie theatres?!
The vendor room is well spaced and has a small show feel to it, but my god, could the people pack in there!
I know that there were a lot more people outside of the vendor room, but late Friday, almost all of Saturday, and early Sunday, people were trooping into the vendor room, and it was pretty cool meeting so many of you, getting pictures of some great cosplays, all of that.

Like in prior years, I planned on staying a bit later, to take in the show after the vendor room closed.
Almost every year that I did prior, I'd just people watch from the center walkway.
If there is one thing that Naka has, it's a massive amount of young and vibrant individuals that for a weekend, almost turn the after hours time into some cool and weird alternate universe school populated with kids of all ages, interests, ideologies, and mindsets that revel in a unified appreciation and love of Anime/Manga/Japanese culture mixed in with western pop culture.
It is actually really refreshing and smile inducing to see people at play like this.
There were of course many other people over the rest of the weekend that picked up my art, stopped by to chat, and had some great cosplays they were rockin'.
I loved the little Kylo Ren outfit that the little lady on the left (who is the proud owner of my Scooby Doo artwork) was wearing. By the way, can anyone help me out on the whole TV head thing? Yeah I can google it, I know...

There were fun and ornate cosplays and people in various types of wigs. I forget how much this show cheers me up.

Two other cosplays I can't identify.

Owners of the "Zoom" strip art, and Link and Zelda.

I had some black and white artwork of Harley that was brought back to me so I could finish coloring it. I drew that back in 2013. The art table was consistently full of people writing and drawing on it.
I of course didn't get a chance to participate in any panels, but more than enough was going on in the vendor room and after hours that I seriously was exhausted each night.
The owners of Edd and Plank, and Happy.

I think this guy was doing the whole "Slenderman" sort of thing with his cosplay.

(Left) Newest addition to my forthcoming sketchbook for 2016. (Left) I actually ran out of 9x12 inch bristol board at this show, and all I had were preformatted comic strip pages, which turned into a new series of illustrations that you see above.
The pictures from the rave, and a few others didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. But I managed a whole heck of a lot more for this update than I thought I would have.

Finally, the show started to wind down Sunday at 4pm. And sure while I was tired, the show was a heck of a good time. It was nice to step back into this show, and I'll be looking to be in it again next year.
Breakdown and getting out is always pretty easy at NakaKon. I was out in under 30 minutes.
Post Con Depression may or may not be a real thing medically, but I think it is. I know that everytime a show comes to an end, especially if it's more than two days, I get a little bit sad thinking about when next the show will come around, mixed with a side of odd fatigue and satisfaction that it's over. That's usually accompanied by a relief that sets in once I know I'm not sick from having been around a couple hundred or thousand people.

The good thing, is I do more shows now that I had in the past, so I can take the time to go over my notes, work on commissions, improve upon what didn't work or what I forgot, and aim higher for the next show on my schedule.
SushiMido after NakaKon is probably the most perfect way I can think to end the weekend before Monday sucker punches me in the ego.
So for those of you that are looking to be a vendor at Naka, apply early, and have your branding and creations on point. There were a lot of really good artists and creators at the show, as well as a nice variety of toy/video/manga sellers.

The crowd is a lot of fun, and so varied. I mean you get that at a lot of comic shows, but there is an energy that comes with a predominantly younger crowd like the one that goes to Naka that keeps my art efforts moving into new subject zones and introduces me into new fandoms all the time. Over the years stuff like Bleach, Food Wars, Crayon Shin Chan were added to to my old anime standbys like Macross, Lupin, and Voltron.

It's a great show, and Beth Bogenrieder and her crew put forth a lot of effort to make it so.

Until next time, support your local artists, be kind to your fellow beings, and watch some anime!
-Mario, the Artisan Rogue

No comments:

Post a Comment