Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Summertime Blues

They let me loose in the KKFI recording booth.
A series of images from what the past few weeks have been like for me.

First of all, I belong to a poetry group called Unpacking Poetry, that has been working and creating a lot of content for online and eventual radio play. I somehow managed to continue my voice over work by joining up with an interesting group of poets, that not only opened my mind to new works and ideologies about writing and creating poetry, but have also allowed me some cool new opportunities and new friendships that I am ever so grateful for.

It's something that I never would have believed I would have been doing, and I am pretty stoked to see where this all goes. But that's not the only thing I have been up to... 
Miss these kids a lot.
I teach part time for Young Rembrandts, a group that provides additional art instruction for kids here in the KCMO area (and many other areas as well). I had previously taught through other groups like Scribblers, but this is a bit of a different take on what I had done prior.

I'm glad I had friends that are teachers that I could go to and ask if these weird feelings of almost empty nest syndrome I was feeling, were normal. I loved the challenges and especially the personalities that I came across in my classes at Brittany Hill and Cordill Mason.

I am ever the better a man for these experiences, and am looking forward to teaching more this summer at schools and at the Kansas City Zoo. Speaking of animals...
So cute. So little. So inquisitive. I love skunks.
I had a little fuzzy new neighbor show up not too far from my yard. Now skunks are indeed wild animals, but not a lot of people know that some are domesticated and can make very wonderful companions/pets. In my younger years, back when I owned around nine ferrets, I knew people that had owned skunks (scent glands removed), and the little guys are just insanely cute and loveable, with a demeanor in between a cat and a dog.

That said, I simply watched this little one from afar. I didn't want to frighten him, nor get myself sprayed. After a few minutes of hanging out and eating what looked like an earthworm, the little fuzzy one went on its merry way.

Buskerfest in Lawrence, Kansas went down, and I met up with some of the Unpacking Poetry group to spread some poetic words, make connections, and record some sessions for KKFI. I covered some of our shenanigans in my latest vlog.
No words really... Rest in Peace Jim.
If you are from the KC area, and into comics, chances are that you knew about Clint's Comics and probably knew Jim. Suffice to say, I still have not managed to make it back into the comic shop, and I think it will be some time before I can.

I hope wherever you are Mr. Cavanaugh, that you know peace, and tell Jack Kirby hello for me.
A dad raising his kid right... no pun intended.
A little while after I stopped by Clint's Comics, I ran some errands, and was feeling a bit down. When out of the corner of my eye, I saw Superman.

Walking. With his father. When the little Superman got to the intersection, his father picked him up, and as the boy went up in the air, he struck a pose like he was taking off in flight, and had the biggest smile as his father set the boy into his right arm to carry him across.

In days like these, it's wonderful to see love and family like this out and about.

Until next time, support your local artists, be kind to your fellow beings, and always take the path less traveled!

Mario, the Artisan Rogue
Illustrator, Podcaster, Writer, Toy Collector, and Animal Rights Activist
www.theartisanrogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment