Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Planet Comicon 2017: changing times

This is either a look of sales determination or one of agitated overload because of all the pin up fan art at the show...

Welcome to my post on this year's largest show here in Kansas City, Planet Comicon. Prepare for one of the longest entries and show reviews I will write.

A little background on some of this. I have been attempting to chronicle this year's efforts by filming a self documentary. It has proven to be a challenge beyond all measures, and I knew it would be. I normally am an avid amateur photographer, but I still manage to get some nice photos for every entry I do on here. I have a very scratch built set up of camera equipment and ways that I have managed to outfit my vehicle interior, my show booth, and even my show cart, so that I could expand and do more with just myself working on this project.

This show marked the halfway point for what has amounted to now over 134 hours of video from multiple cameras, 1037 pictures, 8 hours of audio recording, and two damaged cameras.

The challenge has been to stay true to the message and direction of what this project means to me, to show people what it is like to do comic shows, to work on art, to more often fail than succeed, but how even in the most low points, to pick oneself back up, and keep going.

I plan on spending the next few months in a dormant creative state after I finish up some art that is still owed to a few people. I have to reflect on this first half of this crazy project, and prepare for the rest of the year.

"the Artisan Rogue" is more than just an identity that I created, it's something that I am hoping will come to fruition in ways I have yet to discover. For years, I have spoken with people, and there always seems to be a lingering notion of mystery and questions that propagate towards creators, be they visual artists, musicians, actors,... so I hope that maybe by this coming Christmas season, I can pull this all together and hopefully have something worthwhile, enlightening, and for pete's sake, entertaining to show you all.

Now... 

Go get a sandwich. A nice MLT, where the mutton is nice and lean, so perky. And a drink. I have an armada of photos, and a lot to say about the show that is marking the midpoint for my show season.

Ready? Alright people, let's do this...


Pre Show Set Up (aka the Day Mother Nature trolled us all)

Thursday morning was actually quite nice. The sun was shining, birds were singing, there was a slight John Denver quality to the day. So of course my optimism was up, and my feet were fancy free and footloose. It was time to go set up for Planet Comicon! This was the moment I should have spent all of this past year preparing for!
Hello forklift guy! Nice day to be moving a ladder around in the most complicated way ever with heavy machinery!
So I had initially decided to go and set up after my art class that I teach later in the day, only to realize that according to the set up hours, I had only until 6pm to set up stuff! Far be it from me or anyone else to not read and understand the rules that govern this show! That's what rules are for!

Actually no they are not. It turns out, rules meant very little as the weekend panned out.
Evidently the show thought we all needed some walking cardio added to our day, as this was as close as you could get to the edge of the show area.
I was used to just coming in the South Dock, which is where I ended up coming in, although the set up instructions had mentioned the West Dock. I didn't even know there was a West Dock. I asked volunteers on the street and they didn't know either. After I drove around Bartle Hall a few more times (committing evidently fraudulent additional mileage accrual that I am sure will look totally legit around tax time), I gave up, and went to the South Dock.

First bit of rules broken. But hey, I figure, no big deal. I'll go in, and check in was right there by the doors. Except it wasn't. It was over across the way. In the West Dock area. So some of my time was spent finding and getting my info, and then hurrying back to get to my truck to unload and then move my truck out, and get to setting up.
I was down in Aisle 800, which was but a catapult's throw from the entry area.
Planet had now spread across the length of Bartle Hall, amazingly so. It felt all at once like I had this sensation of excitement, of elation come over me. I think it may have been the extra cardio telling me, "Hey Lunchbox! Why the hell are you walking so much? We're not built for speed, you know!"
When I set up, put my stuff all over everyone else's table when I do. It's why I set up so early at shows.
So aside from hurriedly setting up what I could and trying to make sense of how I was going to put all of my new art up for display, I took some time to film and photo graph the early show set up.

The owners of Mary the Impala (each owner of a Supernatural car names it differently), were kind enough to let me get all up on with my camera and check this car out.
This car is legit bad ass.
Growing up, in Texas just after I was first born, my dad actually owned this very type of car, but it was a dark green. It's more than a bit surreal to see a car that at one point was not that popular become all that and a bag of chips after the success of Supernatural.
The trunk looked pretty accurate as well.
So after chatting about Supernatural, and getting some other shots, I left to go teach class. On my way out, I saw how many more people were now waiting to get in, and was surprised considering that setup would be shut down in a few hours.

Thankfully it wasn't, according to what I was later told, and many stayed until either 8pm or 9pm finishing up.
Just look at that sky! Blue with poofy clouds!
I left and was very grateful I had gotten there early to set up, and hoped for a good amount of great weather and thought, "Heck, I know the weather is saying rain, but this looks like it's going to be nice!"

But this is also Missouri...

Day 1 Friday (aka the Day of Rain that did not fall in Spain)

This is the look of a man whose socks are well beyond soaked.
That evening the rain came in like Tyson in his prime, and punched Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma into submission like mouthy small guys who like to fight.
Of course I'll take some wet socks over biblical flood level insanity like this in Southern Missouri, or the snow storm that hit the other side of Kansas.

Once again, I donned my trusty yellow fisherman's rain jacket and rubber boots, and made like a rabbit trying to dodge the rain like Neo dodges bullets.

In all reality, I didn't do any of that. It was a long slow trudging movement up a hill like one of the Carthaginian elephants enduring Hannibal's crossing of the Alps. It was slow, annoying, cold, wet, and I am sure the elephants had more than wet socks.
This was all back in the cosplay and maker's area.
But once I got back inside, I pumped myself back up. "Come on!" I said to myself, "Put a smile on your face and get ready to kick some comic show butt."
By this time, my neighbors had both set up, and I was finishing putting up art, right before the show started.
Now, let me start off with something. I have been doing shows for years. I respect and follow rules of show displays, try not to do a lot of fan art, and if I do, it's primarily commissions or on a limited facet. I also pore over the rules for shows, and it was stated that no booth display would be over 10 feet tall. I guess that's where the obnoxious factor officially starts or something. I try my best to always respect my neighbors at any show, but upon filming and looking around (just across the aisle no less), I was wondering if anyone had actually read the rules, or if people were using European measurement standards, because, I'm 5 foot 10 inches tall. And a good number of artist alley tables were over three times my height.
I'm going to say it, and I'm not sorry, I was not sad to see this booth move.
I figured that maybe people would be told to cull heights on displays, but nothing of that sort happened. I know that there are other shows that you can't pull that kind of thing at, but not here evidently.

But, whatever, I needed to stay in a good mood. I was anticipating a slow day for Friday, I mean people work and most Fridays are slow for even bigger shows. That's the nature of the beast.
I decided to keep adding to my upcoming sketchbook publication with more original renderings and ideas to work out later.
I sold a few things, and got asked for a commission of the upcoming version of the Flash from the JL movie. I had a lot of fun drawing this, and thankfully, over the last few weeks, my drawing ability has begun to rise once again to a level I feel I am progressing with again.
Not only do I appreciate the commissions, but I also get to explain and demo to people how I go about doing my illustrations.
I kept forgetting to get photos of the people that did buy things or that had cool cosplays. But I figured Saturday would be taking the brunt of that, so I just tried to take it easy on Friday.
(Left) Drew Woodworth of Air Captial Comicon and his son. (Right) A cool mini Iron Man cosplay.

The show was slow, but it was nice to be able to talk to people and draw and do all of that, but real talk? We who go as artists, authors, comic vendors,... we are there to make a living. To attempt to promote ourselves and what we have for sale.

So I rounded out the day talking to more people about my comic, my new art, and ICWXP. All in all, I marked down about 89 conversations/interactions, so I felt good about Saturday.

Day 2 Saturday (aka the Day Barrowman brought down the house)


I faced the day with a steely look of "I'm really not sure how the hell this show is going to go today...".
There are always moments of self doubt that will creep over people, and creative people spend the better part of their lives living in self doubt as a normality. It can be frustrating, at times paralyzing, and if left to grow, downright destructive to one's creativity.

It can sabotage a show when you let it come out inadvertently. I've gotten better about it over the years, but for those of you that have never been on the other side of a table or booth in artist alley, just understand that unless you are someone like Neal Adams, you are more than likely hoping every moment of whatever show you are at, that people will like what you create.

ESPECIALLY when it's not fan art. This was the case with about 75% of my art this show, and the further in the year I go, I hope to increase it to 90%.

Now don't get me wrong, I love when people ask me to do fan art commissions, because it challenges me to do characters I probably would never draw. But those are different for me, in that I will not make reproductions of the originals that I do for people. 
Like this commission of the new Flash from the DCU. One of a kind, and worth the happy reaction on his face.
Saturday brought the lion's share of cosplayers that braved the rainstorms, and there were so many I didn't get pictures of.
(Left) Unknown but super cool cosplay. (Center) "Evangelion Eva 01" by Chris Way of Heartless Cosplay (Right) Hawkgirl and unknown.
For the ones I don't know above, please feel free  to send me info if you were the cosplayer or know the characters. I often run across cosplays I don't recognize.
(Left) Many thanks to Stephen and Amy for picking some of my Robot series. (Left) Very awesome Chun Li and Khal Drogo

(Left) "Athena" by Cheeky Cheetah Cosplay (Right) Sarah and Jareth from Labyrinth
I certainly had a few absolute favorites every show I work, and there were three that really stuck out to me.
These were the first two of three absolute favorite cosplays of the entire weekend. Blue Falcon and Dyno Mutt, and Ghostbuster Jillian Holtzmann.
Now of course I didn't make it to any panels, which was a bummer, as Ron Pearlman, John DiMaggio, and a lot of others were in attendance at the show.

But if you read about happenings at the show, one bizarre thing did happen during John Barrowman's panel. Evidently, his panel brought a whole new meaning to bringing the house down.

I'm certain that the show runners are probably mortified that this happened, it's a wonder no one was hurt from what I understand. I know a lot of people that were in the panel that said Barrowman was absolutely the champ and kept the whole thing going in the face of the craziness that occurred. I mean check out the images below.
I can imagine someone lost a job over this...
I'm telling you, this year seemed like an off year in more ways than one. And I'm not one for omens or instances of bad luck warnings, but something was off about this year's show.

Day 3 Sunday (aka the Day my feet wanted to murder me)


Former co-workers of mine from Hallmark, making an incredibly cool debut at Planet.
So day three finally comes along. The rain has opted to subside for a little while, and reduced itself to random spots of storminess.

I made it a point to find my friend Allyson and her booth showcasing her new effort Star Beasts, and when I got over to her table, I realized I knew the writer, Stephanie Young from having been involved with an app project some time back at Hallmark.

Few, so few people that get a table come out so freaking on point and looking like seasoned pros like these two did. Their presentation was amazing, and they had an MST3K home spun sci-fi aspect really going for them. I picked up the preview issue, which is awesome and they were kind enough to sign it for me!

If you get a chance, check out the interview they did for Central Mo News!
(Left) Did a quick Mandy study from Pagan Zoetrope (Right) Got another commission for a Suicide Squad character I hadn't heard of before Jewelee.
All through the show, even though I had my ups and downs, it was so nice to see people I knew from former co-workers, to friends, and to meet new people. Thank you Johnny, Roz, Jake, Dry Bones Studio (for being amazing neighbors), Krista, James, Drew, Jason, Andy, Aaron, and so many of the rest of you for stopping by and talking, picking up art, and just being all around awesome.
Johnny and his costumed kids. Do you know how weird it is to be named Mario, while taking a picture of a kid dressed as Mario? (Right) This photo does not do this stunning cosplay of Jareth the Goblin King justice. This was up there in my top three favorite cosplays.
So Wil Wheaton was at the show (Wil if you read this, I hope you checked out ICWXP.), and the seriously skilled and funny guys from Brass Engine Productions had this amazing thing happen.
This is so freaking cool. Seriously happy for these guys.
I'd tell you the story of how it all happened, but I guess you'll have to track Brass Engine down at a show they are at and ask them about it. And then check out all the cool stuff they make.

I had also been meaning to make it over to meet Bill Amend. He is such a quiet and reserved guy, but his work on the syndicated comic strip Foxtrot, is just too good. He was my favorite interviewee on the documentary "Stripped". Had another total fanboy moment with him. Awkwardness is my middle name.

That's right, Mario is spanish for Awkward. Look it up! I know you won't!
Sunday managed to stay steady with a few more art sales.

(Left) Cosplay is from the anime Gurren Laggen by T.J. Tangpuz. (Right) X-23 wants to negate the Alien chest burster.

So shortly after all of this, the show had finally come to an end. As I was finishing talking to a few people, my neighbor (whose name I have forgotten), but she was the illustrator in Dry Bones Studio, gave me this amazing and fun drawing... of me. As a thank you for just being her booth neighbor.

I meant what I said, if you have show questions, feel free to contact me and ask. To all of you who didn't get a chance to meet and see my booth neighbor at Dry Bones Studio, she is an artist just starting out on the show circuit, with some formidable drawing ability, and charisma to spare.

Day 4 Monday (aka I look back and still feel damp)


It took the better part of Monday for me to recover. I added my exhibitor badge to my collection, and looked for a frame for the gifted cartoon portrait (below), as well as my signed Foxtrot strip. Thank you so much for that Bill Amend.
I really should have gotten him to sign my show badge too.
You know, it's weird. I didn't have post con blues this year. I did have a lot to think about, but I still had some commissions and projects to get out to people.
Finishing up a custom Captain America for a friend of mine.
I don't have any shows for a few months at the moment. And it's kind of a nice change. I mean, anything can suddenly pop up, and they have before. But I'm going to take the time to address my booth design again, to add to the display, create more art, and work on my Patreon, so I can start growing that.

It's all at once exhilarating at the same time that it is scary as hell to be doing primarily shows and freelance as my income. I'm finishing this update now at just past midnight, early Wednesday morning. I have a lot of brainstorming, writing, and artwork to create before the next run of shows come upon me.

I know the challenge is now to stay with my own original creations and to get people to know about what I do, and hopefully get some support.

As for Planet Comicon, I have some thoughts on my YouTube channel vlog if you want to check them out, but I'll talk more about that later this year.

Thanks for reading you all, and for supporting me.

Until next time, support your local artists, be kind to your fellow beings, and always take the path less traveled!

Mario, the Artisan Rogue
Illustrator, Podcaster, Writer, Toy Collector, and Animal Rights Activist
www.theartisanrogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment