Monday, March 27, 2017

StealthCon 2017 - Rainy Day

It's never a good thing to wake up to rain on the day you have to set up a show.

Friday Set Up

I'm no stranger to adverse weather. I've done outside art fairs and shows about as frequently as I've done comic shows inside of venues. As the old saying goes, the show must go on. It's just like Missouri that only two weekends ago, it was snowing at NakaKon, it would only make sense that it would be a stormfront heavy weekend this year at StealthCon.
I have learned my lesson over the years and waterproof or seal the heck out of every component for set up.
When I got there, I was trying to figure out which possible way would yield the least amount of me retaining moisture content, but considering that it was pouring like crazy out there, I figured I'd go ask if I could park right out front of the student union. That way, I only had but a few meters up the wheelchair ramp with my equipment on a cart to clear. 
Anyone want to go deep sea fishing? My boat is the S.S. DampSocks.
Once I got all of my gear inside, I took a little walk around the vendor area and met SSgt. Travis Keele who had been my primary contact through all of this. Was nice to put a face to a name, and he turned out to be a super cool and helpful guy all through the weekend.
It takes a unique kind of person to want to do shows, because it's not easy. But it can be fun.
I caught up with some friends, old and new, Brass Engine Productions, B-Squared Computers, and Thompson Productions to name a few. I was just looking at my time keeping app and I had gotten there at 5:30pm and finally finished up at 9:45pm. The wall behind my table had a bit of challenge in that a stair step sort of wooden shelf was sticking out where the floor and wall met. I am so freaking grateful that these ProPanels I use can adapt to any uneven ground and I was able to make my banner and the walls fit for the most part. After I got done, I left and tried to get a good night's rest so I could get back to the show early to finish any last minute things I knew I overlooked.

Saturday

(Left) The final set up. (Upper Right) A graded and archived Alley Viper from G.I.Joe. (Lower Right) Me looking as awake as possible by the front banner for the show entrance.
I spent a bit of time getting everything all ready, and moved around a few things until I was happy, then it was time to set in for the long haul. I was on my way to fill up my water bottle when I saw this...
I thought it was a prank at first. WHO DOES A PHOTOSHOOT IN THE BATHROOM?! Finally I noticed the room number written on it (inset zoom).
So of course one of my favorite things is taking pictures for all of you lovely readers to look at, and I have a slew of them for you to look at.
For some reason, I believe they may be fans of Brom's work. Very cool work on the wings.
I am glad I managed to get halfway decent photos, as at any point and time I had two to three cameras that I kept trying to remember to have recording or taking time lapse video with.
I think this is a cosplay from Dr. Who. Can anyone confirm this? I know I know... I should finally watch the show. This was beautifully done, and I loved the pose.
I did have only one bit of footage bite the dust, and it was a long time lapse segment from the better part of Saturday. Not happy about that, but if I had to lose anything, that would be the one that I was alright with.
Teen Titans Starfire and Raven. Very excellent work!

I have some amazing friends, and Ben (of Brass Engine Productions) is just one that I look forward to seeing at shows. Thanks for picking up "the Loner #1"!

Sunday


The new owners of original wood art "Skeleton Warrior 2 #41"! An awesome PacMan cosplay, and two fun ladies that picked up one of my werewolf art repros.
The show did have a slower feel this year, I'm not sure what the overall attendance was. That said, I still spend a lot of time connecting with people and ended up being interviewed twice. That was pretty cool and immensely appreciated!
I did an overnight commission for my buddy David where he wanted his wife as Lady Thor. Thanks so much for supporting my art man! (Right) A pretty bad ass steampunk cosplay.
Sometimes I had to step away from my table, and if my brother (who was helping me out at the show) wasn't able to help, then I did the next best thing and got a Power Ranger Zord to man the table!
I think he may have cost me some sales, according to witnesses, he kept defending and deflecting questions in a tiny mute display of martial art ability.
I love seeing entire families get into the cosplay zone, because for me, that means it's a hobby they all can get into and be creative with. This family was rocking the Alice through the Looking Glass theme.
Wonderful job, really liked "Time"!
So not unlike when I was trying to get the courage to introduce myself to David Vincent at Naka, I was also trying to get over to meet Phil Lamarr, voice of Samurai Jack, Hermes from Futurama, and so many more roles it's not funny. We only had a few moments to speak, but it was a highlight for me at the show. Speaking of, the line up of guests was really nice, and for two years in a row, it's been a nice surprise to see what the overall variety has been. 
Thanks for taking the time to talk Phil!

Batman Beyond and Captain America cosplays!
It was nice to see the local businesses like Rock N Sports and B-Squared Computers come out and be a part of the show. I've been shopping at Rock N Sports for a long time because they carry a lot of great vintage games, books, collectibles, and rare items. B-Squared is my go to place for getting my computer up and running when I manage to mess it up. Both are run by super cool people, Nolan and Matt. If you are ever in the Warrensburg or Knob Noster areas, look them up and stop by their shops!
Nolan (on Left) had brought an NES which was constantly being played by people wandering the convention space.
As the show wound down on Sunday, I managed to get pictures of my three favorite cosplays of the entire weekend.
Beauty and the Beast looked fantastic, and this 3 year old Moana was just spot on!
Just before the show closed down, I sold another copy of my graphic novel. I'm down to about 13 of the first run left now.

Even though I was tired, and worn, it was now time to start tearing down my display and pack it up for storage until my next show. Of course, it was raining again outside.
I wasn't in a rush, partly because I was still filming a few things, and getting photos, but also because of taking the time to reflect on the show, and what kinds of feedback and improvements could be leveraged onto next year's event.

And so it ends as it began. Empty tables in a large room.
It's weird, the show was a long one, in that I was really just relaxing at this show. I wasn't in a mad rush, nor was I doing as I had done in years prior, where I would often be tense or stressed out about how the show would go.

To be honest, when you do shows long enough, you start to get a feel, a vibe within the first few hours of being exposed to the attending crowd. Although the crowds have been pleasant to very friendly at these last two shows, there has been a weird air of reluctance or browsing that I have been feeling. And hey, I'm no stranger to that feeling. But as a working artist, whose income relies on creating things that at the same time are meaningful to me, but also able to be appreciated by the people who see my work, I am humbled and grateful for all and any that do support me, talk to me, and come out to these kinds of shows. That take the time to listen to stories, have me review your art, and listen to my pitch on behalf of Incognito Cinema Warriors XP.

The term working artist,.. is a badge many of us wear, and over the years, it tarnishes, it patinas, it wears, but it gains character and solidarity with all whom understand it, and know that it means the world to not only myself, but every vendor there and at countless shows, that any of you attendees to these shows do interact and support us.

A little bit of the unexpected

On my way into the show, Sunday morning, I had just parked my car, and was walking across the street when out of nowhere, this large fox runs across my path, about three feet in front of me. I didn't have my camera in hand, I had just decided to save some memory space and wait until I was inside to start recording. I thought, "Yeah, no one is going to believe that a fox just ran by the student union in front of me at StealthCon". So I did what anyone carrying camera gear, a freshly done commission, art supplies and more would do. I gave chase.

The little guy was some kind of ninja, because over where the bell tower is, I saw him for a moment, and then he vanished. I looked everywhere, looked for any tracks, nothing. A little disappointed, I sat down to get my camera out to record my thoughts, when I heard a rustle behind the bench I was sitting on.

The moments seem jumbled to me in my memory, but I had to go back and watch the footage to remember how and what he acted like. Just before I was able to pull my camera out, he trotted around the edge of the bench and sat there. Looking straight at me, about three feet from me. Casual and if anything a little cocky in his demeanor and body language.

I spoke to him (I am always talking to animals, wild and domestic), and he whined and growled a bit, rolled over to expose his belly, and after I got my camera out, he almost seemed to play up to it.

It was a nice way to start of Sunday. I know culturally the fox is viewed as a trixter, but I took it that it was a sign to live life fully and in fun. I also believe in astrology, so there's that. ;D
This guy has more personality than some people I've known over the years.
Next up will be Planet Comicon, and then after that, I'm not sure, as some shows are still pending for me. But be sure that I'll have my camera and notebook near me to keep these updates coming.

And if you'd like to check out one of my interviews, you can read it here. Thanks to Andy and Aaron for the time and questions and all the rest!

Until next time, support your local artists, be kind to your fellow beings, and always take the path less traveled!


Mario, the Artisan Rogue
Illustrator, Podcaster, Writer, Toy Collector, and Animal Rights Activist
www.theartisanrogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment