Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The more things change,...

Found a great solution in to materials for my studio ceiling. On the right, Habitat Restore had these unused plywood pallet covers. On the left, I had this great bit of embossed sheet metal that one of my bosses at Hallmark had given me.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Or so the saying goes. I've been feeling that way more because, well, to be honest, when one doesn't really have a day job to report to, your days start running together and Wednesday could just as easily be a Sunday.

But even though I'm only able to keep track of my days as well as a stack of calendars printed by a group of blind people, I've been getting closer and closer to finishing up my art studio.
With their powers combined... they become DECORATIVE elements!!!!
The past two weeks have been an insane amount of wire relocation, running a 50 foot ethernet cable, and pulling out no less than 187 staples, nails, tacks, and other stuff you'd load into a pirate's cannon when there was a need for something to replace shot and langridge (I know you've all seen Pirate of the Caribbean, right?).
Just LOOK at this mess! And don't get me started on the weird nail folded over in a hammer rage upon another nail sort of thing that was going on with some of these!
Of course no run with power tools or rusty things can go without a wee bit of injury, (or as my friend Ray put it, "Blood Sacrifice for the Blood God"), and while attempting to screw in a screw, and only manage to screw my hand in the process with a phillips drill bit.
Ouch.
A bandage and some Vetericyn spray later, and I was back to putting up my snazzy new ceiling. You can also see that the walls are green. Not a lime green or grass green, but in fact, sort of an avocado/army green. The far wall is a dark blue. I know. You all are probably like, what the hell man..., but trust me. I'm an artist. And I'm on a budget.

Did I mention I was unemployed? Yeah that too.

BUT, I will say that the proceeds from Patreon have helped in the purchase of some of what you see here, so I do have a hearty thank you for you who've helped, and for all of you that bought stuff from me at shows last year. This crazy green studio is what you were helping support come to life.
It's not easy being green.
I've also been working on a quick little story called "Ardor", and hope to have it ready by the first of my shows this year. I'll be sure to announce it on here when it's available. This will be a one shot of sorts, more to just test the waters with the story at this point.
It's a bit of a variation on my normal clean drawing style.
My computer is working again, thanks to the awesome Matt at B-Squared Computer Repair in Knob Noster, Missouri. That said, while the studio is being worked on, updates will be a bit scarce, since I don't want to you know, get sawdust in my computer.

My first show coming up is NakaKon, and StealthCon will be quickly on it's heels. I may have more shows up on the list, but I'm waiting on confirmation on a few of them.

Until next time, support your local artists, be kind to your fellow beings, and always take the path less traveled!

Mario, the Artisan Rogue
Illustrator, Podcaster, Writer, Toy Collector, and Animal Rights Activist
www.theartisanrogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment