Tuesday, August 11, 2015

KCCC 2015 - KC gets another convention.

For those that don't know, KCCC is the newest convention to take root in the KC area. Joining a roster that includes Planet Comicon, Naka Kon, Spectrum Fantastic Art Live, Conquest, Crypticon, FreeCon/FreeState, and many others I know I am forgetting at the moment, the coming year of 2016 will be one of the fullest schedules I've ever seen, especially when WorldCon and a rumored Star Trek convention roll into town next year.

As many of you know, I was off of the comic scene for a while, doing other types of art shows here and there, and keeping even a low profile at KC Fancons, and really only doing Spectrum shows. I finally got my head together on my art, and decided to get back into the comic push with this show.

So how did KCCC go?

Setup: Day Zero

First off, I don't blame KCCC for this, but the guy at Bartle Hall that thought he'd be funny and turn off the A/C on the first day during set up? I think I mirror a lot of sentiments when I say I hate you and all of your ancestors for doing that (and I'd say a lot more, but I have kids that read this blog).

Bartle Hall in general is not one of my favorite places just because they know they are the main game in town if you want to have a show downtown in KC. That said, the building itself is a great venue, and even the oppressive humidity didn't wear down people too badly.
I was very glad we could drive in and almost up to the tables.
It didn't take me too long to set up, maybe about an hour. So I spent the rest of the time wandering around, timing how long it took me to get from one end to the other, trying to figure out how a convention attendee might go about it after coming up the escalator.
The layout seemed promising from what I'd seen in the map provided to people in the show, and when I saw it in person, it seemed easy to navigate.
You could drive an 88 Lincoln through the space they allotted for people to use as walkways. Strollers and outlandish cosplays were not an issue.
The super spiffy and coveted cosplay award shields.
I really wanted a birds eye view of it all so I climbed up onto my truck for this shot.
So after making sure everything was locked down as best I could and set up right, I left for the evening to go back and charge some batteries, and finish packing up some art reproductions.

Day One

I don't even know why I am calling this a separate day, as I got maybe two and a half hours of sleep that evening. Not because I was nervous, but because I still had a few last minute things to get done. And each one I finished reminded me of yet one more thing I had to take/finish.
Yay! On the way to the show super early, and the heat was already in full effect.
I managed to squeeze everything into the cab of my truck (I love my truck) the day prior for set up, so all I brought on this day was spare D Cell batteries and my large fan. I think if memory serves me right, I got there about 8:30 am or so.
I quickly got my setup all finished up, and sat down and attempted to cool off with the aid of a battery powered fan. Do enough outdoor art shows and these become your lifeline.
The show wasn't even open yet and I saw this great cosplay of Hiro and Baymax. This kid got so much attention and it looked like he was having a blast during the show.
He was already zipping around the show being all super cool.
Good number of vendors came to this show, including one that had a table set up (see right below) that looked like the cool kid in the neighborhood's room. I think we all knew one kid like that, whose parents must have worked for Mattel and Nintendo? Who ALSO had the Blue Max racing bmx, and... and... had a refridgerator STOCKED with Pizza Rolls* and pouches of Capri Sun of flavors not even available to the public!?...

(ahem)

So this vendor had a lot of cool stuff on display...
It's probably a good thing I didn't get away from my table that much as one toy vendor had LOADS of my childhood memories laid out as toys to buy.
R2 units ran joyously all over this show. I am a huge Astromech fanboy, and loved that no matter who was around one, they always had smiles while interacting with them. Younger fans at the shows literally just watched mesmerized as these little guys trooped around.
The Cosplayers and other build groups were relegated to further back in the area, across from where the media guests were located.
I realized suddenly that I was across from Scribe. THE Scribe. The "Super Bad Ass Muralist and official Children's Mercy Illustrator" Scribe.
I actually never took the time to realize the name on the booth across from me, and I have to say that Scribe is seriously one of the most laid back and humble guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Any of you long time readers know I have often praised his work across the KC metro area in the past, and taken crazy photos in front of them.

Another fellow whom I'd only known through Facebook was the super talented Rikk Wolf of Incognito Cinema Warriors XP, whom I finally had a chance to meet on Friday. Hilarious and very down to earth guy that it seems I have a lot in common with, not the least of was our common ground in voice over work.
When I had down time, and I got to sit in the "oh so comfortable" convention chairs Bartle Hall provided, I worked on this opus of a work.
I got a LOT further on my "Dark Invader" illustration, and I hope to have that finished by the end of October. I brought my total hours invested in it from 68 hours to just around 89 by the time this weekend was over. It's further along than it looks above, the entire left arm and all of the facial tentacles are done.
The very talented Amber Stone was to my right. Artist alley at least where we were located never really got more densely packed than what you see here.
(Left) Longtime friends Amber and Tom stopped by for a bit which was a great surprise. (Right) Two great Star Trek cosplays.
This was my favorite cosplay on Friday. I have this Ant Lucia art print framed at home, and this cosplayer did it wonderfully!
By the way, if any of you readers recognize these cosplayers and know the names, please let me know so I can credit them on here! I totally forgot to ask people their names at the show.

Day Two

So Friday turned out to be not so bad sales wise, but the crowd had a funny pulse to it, where I could not get a rhythm to sell to. But I figured I was also a bit rusty and the crowd didn't have a rush, so I expected likewise on Saturday.

Wonderful Elvira, Cobra Trooper, and Viper cosplays.
From what I understand, this Tony Stark 3D printed most of his cosplay. I wish I'd known that when I talked to him. And loved this Green Ranger outfit. It looked pretty screen accurate to me.
Darth Vader and R2 posed for quite a while with people taking pictures just in front of my booth. It was then that I realized I had not seen as many Storm Troopers as I normally do. The insets on the side were a commission I got to do an orange dragon reading a book in a nook.
There was also a stage set up not that far from me, and I got pics above of Hector Casanova, Arie Munroe, and Brandi Stone working on art.
I do love that there are Fix It Felix cosplayers that actually walk around with Artist Alley helpful tools like scissors and the like. On that note, how cool is it that Nintendo has agreed to let Mario show up in the forthcoming Wreck It Ralph 2?
Even more cosplays. I'm not going to pretend I know who the two on the left are, but I thought the lady on the right did a killer version of Merida.
This. Family. Rocks.
Saturday allowed me to get a bit more visiting in, and was great fun all around. I made a lot more business and freelance connections this day than either Friday or Sunday which was something I'd not anticipated on doing.

I also talked up FreeState like crazy to all that would listen, as well as showering the praise on Spectrum (I told you I always talk about and support the shows I do Shena Wolf. ;D). But in general it gives me a chance to name drop all the other shows as well.

So after a heck of a long day, with back pain, foot pain, and a very hoarse voice, I went back home to rest and prepare for the third day.

Day Three

By day three I was pathetically dragging myself awake. So this is 40 years old huh? Wonderful. But I told myself, "Suck it up because it's time to make the donuts."

Three things that rocked Friday. This legit "Man with No Name" cosplay. Then having some of the Attack on Titan cosplayers start playing popular movie themes behind me next to the live art stage. And doing this quick sketch of Dart Feld for a fellow NakaKon artist.
The creative community as large and spanning as it is, can suddenly be so small, as I found out the pin up artist Steve Baier that was next to Rick Stasi (who was the table artist directly behind me), was from the same area of Iowa as another artist friend of mine, whom we had in common friendship. And on the right, my friend Sara here showing off my latest issue of PZ.
Some of the other very awesome cosplays I managed to get quick photos of, including a great take on "Zatana" by Rae of the cosplay duo Super Sirens. The only one I missed out on was the Elsa I saw on Saturday I think... maybe it was Sunday. What day is today?!
All good things end, and Artist Alley quickly vacated. I found the guys that were rolling Hulk off into the distance too funny not to photograph. It really looked like they were ushering out a large drunk frat guy that maybe got left behind by his bros.
One last shot as I drove off.
So off I drove to seek food in the form of sushi, and think about my sore feet, contemplate what the universe is up to, you know, all the things that go through our minds after a weekend of fun barrels headfirst into cubicle Monday.

I got the goods...

I got a few cool things but not as much as I'd like to have. But there will be future shows, and chances for me to track down some people to get their books and art.

Here though is a a quick overview of what I picked up.

I picked up a lot of great bits of artwork from the show... a book and art reproductions from the likes of Stone, Stasi, Voth, and Baier.

and two kick ass figurines from Scribe...
That he was kind enough to sign. (Left) My lanyard collection for comic/anime conventions is growing again.

Final Thoughts: Pros and Cons (<-- No pun intended.)

So here's what some of my thoughts are as far as positives:
  1. Just around 10,000 people attended the show, not bad at all for the first time out.
  2. Even with that many people, the convention still had a laid back feel.
  3. The Shield awards were amazing.
  4. The media guests, especially scoring Pam Grier and Sean Astin, were pretty good.
  5. Kids play area.
  6. GIVING AWAY 15 comics to all kids on Sunday that were under 15 years old?! As a reward for staying late that day? Brilliant marketing move guys, and great way to introduce kids to new titles. Really cool! 
  7. WIDE walkways in artist alley.
  8. I lost track after late Saturday, but of the 467 people that I managed to talk to while at my booth and I managed to ask them, 232 of them were attending a comic show for the first time (this includes Scribe and his family, whom are some of the coolest people ever). Almost 160 of them had young kids and were so happy that there were areas and things for kids to mess with.
  9. A few of the volunteers were genuinely good and were visible, this was mainly Setup day and Sunday.
  10. (Thank you Steve Baier for pointing this out.) A great big wide pool of talented and very skilled artists of all calibers that were in attendance. That was one of the best things about this show!
And the negatives, offered as points to hopefully improve:
  1. Not enough good "Henchmen", barely saw any during the show, and the ones I did weren't helpful. They were shopping. If you're going to volunteer for a show, do your job and don't be a moron and take advantage of the good people running the show.
  2. Even with that many people, the convention had a laid back feel...is also a not so great thing. Many many cosplayers and attendees never made it back to where a good portion of the people in artist alley were. I can tell you this because I had people that attended the show looking for me that never found me. I was at the end of an aisle, and had a large display. Some people that finally found me said that directions were hard to find, and none of them knew about the cosplay section way in the back. 
  3. Hall E, found out about that on Saturday, and even then, never knew when exactly to go.
  4. Why no floor map, or even standees like in a Mall with "You are here." graphics? I've seen people get turned around in a Wal-Mart. Imagine adding kids, wayward friends, the excitement, and sensory overload of a convention. And yeah sure, you could say well it's available on the phone... no. People need that for taking pictures and pushing the social media aspect of it out to others not there at the show. Don't make people waste battery power looking up an online or emailed map.
  5. The panels from what I heard, were a bit underwhelming in some cases but not because of the media guests, which if you want staying power from that end for the people in attendance, this has got to be improved.
In the end, it was worth it to see Mr. Sean Astin post this on Twitter.

I really really regret not having made it back there to meet him. Sean Astin is just all out awesome in my book.
So in a nutshell, KCCC delivered. They did make a hell of a first outing. Not too many shows I've heard of can boast of that. The real challenge is going to be over the next few years. Is a huge initial showcase going to raise expectations for the second year?

And to recap, how in 2016 will the public these shows are aimed at, react? Yes the economy is on the mend, but can KC hold up under the weight of 4 to 5 larger shows, and a myriad run of smaller shows? Is the new influx of first timers that attended KCCC a sign of new collectors and customers in the community?

If anything is certain, with the coming offerings of Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel/Pixar about to unleash in a gigantic way at the end of 2015 into all of 2016, and more and more fandoms crossing over into various shows... it's anyone's and everyone's game.

It's certainly one heck of a good time to be into pop culture here in the Kansas City area. And I have a feeling 2016 will be one for the record books that will be talked about for years to come.

Until next time, thanks for reading, support your local artists, be kind to your fellow beings, and I'll see you next time! - Mario. the Artisan Rogue

 
*The more you know: In the year 1968, Jeno Paulucci took an old egg roll machine and started turning out his own unique invention: pizza rolls. The rest is tired gamer/drunk college student history.

No comments:

Post a Comment